Iowa Barn Foundation

Miller Barn, All-State Barn Tour

The Miller barn, 310 20th Street, SW, Waverly (Bremer County)

The Miller Barn was built in 1914 by W.H Miller and his brother, Gilbert, and constructed with locally grown cedar and native oak.  The Miller Guernsey Dairy was one of over 20 dairies in Bremer County from 1920 to 1940.  The Miller dairy helped supply the local Carnation Company with milk for condensed milk.

This interesting large barn served as a dairy, horse, and cattle barn.

The Millers milked Guernsey cows in the barn.  They went house to house selling some of the milk.  The balance was sent to a Carnation condensed milk production facility in Waverly where Carnation Milk Products Company began producing condensed milk in 1928.

The Millers kept three teams of French Percheron horses in the barn until 1948 when they were replaced by tractors.  Beef cattle were also housed and fed in the barn.

The construction style is post and beam, sometimes referred to as a box frame, and was constructed with locally grown cedar and oak.  Vertical structural members are posts and horizontal members are beams.  Beams at the base of the wall are called sills.  Beams at the top of the walls, at the eaves, are called plates.  Other beams are called girts.  Beams connecting front and back walls are tie beams.  Posts are identified by their location: corner posts, end posts, side posts, and interior posts.   (This paragraph from The Old Barn Book, Noble and Cleek, Rutgers University Press.).

Back to top
© 1997-2016 Iowa Barn Foundation. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without express written permission from the Iowa Barn Foundation.  Updated 03-03-16.

 

The Iowa Barn Foundation: Helping to preserve Iowa's agricultural heritage one barn at a time.

 

Go to the Iowa DOT map, then click on a County.

Iowa State Map