Historic restored barns, throughout Iowa, will be open to the public during the Iowa Barn Foundation’s free, self-guided, 2017 All-State Barn Tour on Saturday, September 23 and Sunday, September 24 - 8:30am-5:30pm each day. Scroll down to take the virtual tour.
Most barns on tour have been restored with matching grants from the Iowa Barn Foundation.
Other barns received an Award of Distinction from the IBF for restorations the owners undertook themselves.
Note - Since conditions change, some photos may not show the current state of a particular barn.
The East Area (this page) includes -
Northeast Counties -
Mitchell, Howard, Winneshiek, Allamakee, Floyd, Chickasaw, Fayette, Clayton, Butler, and Bremer.
East center Counties -
Grundy, Blackhawk, Buchanan, Delaware, Dubuque, Tama, Benton, Linn, Jones, Jackson, Poweshiek, Iowa, Johnson, Cedar, Clinton, Scott, and Muscatine.
Southeast Counties -
Mahaska, Keokuk, Washington, Louisa, Wapello, Jefferson, Henry, Des Moines, Davis, Van Buren, and Lee.
Counties - Mitchell, Howard, Winneshiek, Allamakee, Floyd, Chickasaw, Fayette, Clayton, Butler, and Bremer.
Barns: 1. Younker Family Heritage Farm barn, 2. The Miller barn, 3. Buckley barn, 4. Blazek barn, 5. Hotvedt barn, 6. Linderbaum/Palmer barn, 7. Hinsenbrock barn, 8. Scholtes barn, 9. Chimney Rock Ranch barn, 10. Kolsrud Barn.
A map will appear here shortly.
Younker Family Heritage Farm barn, 25734 Hwy 57, Parkersburg (Butler County) - Three miles east of Parkersburg, on IA 57. This large (112'x30') barn has been in the same family since the barn was built in the late 1800's. Inside the barn is a 16'x24' wooden silo that was manufactured by the Indiana Silo company and was built around 1909. This landmark barn was recently lovingly restored by Eleanor Tostlebe Peterson and family. (Award of Distinction). Click here to see exterior and interior photos.
The Miller barn (no photo available), 310 20th Street SW, Waverly (Bremer County) - The Miller barn is on IA 3 on the west edge of downtown Waverly. It is south of Redeemer Lutheran Church, east of CUNA Mutual campus, and west of Bremwood and Lutheran Services of Iowa. This barn was built in 1914 by W.H Miller and his brother, Gilbert, and constructed with locally grown cedar and native oak. The Miller Guernsey Dairy was one of over 20 dairies in Bremer County from 1920 to 1940. The Miller dairy helped supply the local Carnation Company with milk for condensed milk. Click here to read more of the story.
Buckley barn, 12178 200th St, Elma (Howard County) - About 1 mile south of Lourdes, on US 63, turn west onto 200th Street and go two miles to the barn, which is on the south side of 200th Street. Barn was built in 1915 on land given to family by President Buchanan. Click here to see more.
Blazek barn, 1755 Ridgeway Boulevard, Lawler (Chickasaw County) - The farm is about 3 miles northwest of Lawler on County V46 / 1755 Ridgeway Blvd. Distinguished large barn had a drive-through center where teams of horses pulled and unloaded full loads of hay. Barn dances were held in mow in early 1900s.
Hotvedt barn, 1996 County Road A14, Decorah (Winneshiek County) - The barn is about 1 mile west of Hesper on A14, which is close the Minnesota/Iowa boundary. John McMullens bought farm from government in 1852 for $1.25 and acre. Nearby, Mable Minnesota's steam engine days started on the farm. Another photo here.
Linderbaum/Palmer barn, 1206 150th Street, Castalia (Winneshiek County) - From Decorah intersection of IA 9 and US 52, go east on IA 9 for 5.8 miles to Centennial Road. Turn right on Centennial Rd and go 8.4 miles (Centennial becomes W46). Turn left on 150th Street. Go 1.7 miles to Linderbaum/Palmer barn. Rock is from nearby quarry using teams and wagons. Framing of barn was oak harvested from own woodlands. Portable sawmill was brought to saw logs. Some 200-300 men came for a one day barn raising; each man given a new hammer. [Directions could be - From Decorah, follow US Highway 52 south to Castalia. Turn left (north) onto W46 (Centennial Road) and follow to 150th Street. Turn right (east) onto 150th Street and follow for 1.7 miles to the Linderbaum/Palmer barn.]
Hinsenbrock barn (no photo available), 1477 Norske Road, Decorah (Winneshiek County) - From Decorah, take IA 9 six miles east to the second entrance to Oilville Road. Turn left and go one-half mile to the first gravel road, Norske Road. Turn right and go one-half mile to farm. Pegged barn (36x70) was built into a hill in 1878 by Peder Bakke, an original Norwegian settler in the county. Barn retains original wooden hay drop for loose hay and has unusual double support rafters. There are hand-hewn timbers, and pegs are in the same condition as when they were made.
Scholtes barn (no photo available), 2207 Gruber Ridge Road, Lansing (Allamakee County) - From IA 9, about 2 miles west of Lansing, turn north onto Gruber Ridge Road, and go 2.5 miles to the barn. 1920s barn on beautiful site dedicated to family's sheep operations.
Chimney Rock Ranch barn, 1245 Chimney Rock Road, Waterville (Allamakee County) - From stop light in Waukon, travel east on Elon Road (A52) about 6.8 miles to Chimney Rock Road. Turn right (south) onto Chimney Rock Road and travel south. Large building is corn crib, granary, hog barn, and machine shed and was built in two parts in 1907-08. The corncrib/granary has a basement for hogs. The second part was added to the north end of the original building later that year or the next year. (Award of Distinction). Click here to see more.
Kolsrud Barn, 1243 Gjefle Drive, Waukon (Allamakee County) - From intersection of IA 9 and IA 76, one mile south of Waukon, travel 4.7 miles southeast on IA 76 toward Rossville. About 1.7 miles before Rossville turn left on Cardinal Road (gravel). Travel l.l mile curving to the north. Turn right onto Gjefle Drive (gravel) and follow it east and northeast for half a mile to the barn.. Known as Jacob Johnson/Clark, the Kolsrud barn was built in 1870. Jacob Johnson came from Norway and purchased the barn with 80 acres in 1862. He paid $500 for the farm. Timber used in barn from his farm. Rock quarried from 100 yards from barn location. He used oxen in building the barn. Click here to see more photos and the story of this barn.
Counties - Grundy, Blackhawk, Buchanan, Tama, Benton, Linn, Poweshiek, Iowa, Delaware, Dubuque, Jones, Jackson, Johnson, Cedar, Clinton, Scott, and Muscatine.
Barns: 11. Hayward barn, 12. Welter barn, 13. James Michels barn, 14. Dighton barn, 15. Ridden-Hahn Barn, 16. David & Charlotte Neises Barn, 17. Jack Smith Family Barn, 18. Gehlen barn, 19. Kaufman barn, 20. Michels barn, 21. Steines barn, 22. Clasen barn, 23. Delaney barn, 24. Martin barn, 25. The DeFries Barn on the Doris and Jack Dyas Farm, 26. Stromeyer barn, 27. Schneckloth crib, 28. Frye barn, 29. Zelle barn, 30. Riessen barn, 31. Schroeder barn, 32. Mulford barn, 33. Ulch barn, 34. Moershel buggy barn.
A map will appear here shortly.
Hayward round barn, 1520 County Highway V37, Dysart (Tama County) - 3.5 miles north of Dysart on Hwy V37. Owner’s great-grandfather, Charles Hayward, purchased farm in 1881. Barn, built in 1916, is 66 feet in diameter. It may have been constructed by Johnston Brothers Clay Works, Ft. Dodge because of size of clay bricks used. Click here to read more of the story and see more photos. And see an online Des Moines Register article about this barn.
Welter barn, 13725 X Avenue, Cedar Falls (Grundy County) - Southwest of Cedar Falls, east of Dike, north of US 20, south of IA57. (X Avenue is also shown on Google as T65 and Fredsville Ave.) Original blueprints developed by Agricultural Engineering Department, Iowa State. It was built in 1947. Working farm was purchased in 1867 by Ole Johnson and has been in the same family since. Click here to see more.
James Michels barn, 1278 Mason Avenue, Stanley (Buchanan County) - From Hazelton (on IA 150), go east on C57 for three miles to Mason Avenue. Turn south and go 3/4 miles. Barn is on the east. Redwood tongue and groove 40'x 80' barn was built in 1947 when the family started raising Angus cattle. Click here to see more.
Dighton round barn, 3344 120th Avenue, Coggon (Delaware County) - Take paved road (D62) going west out of Coggon (in Linn Cnty) for one mile to Quality Ridge Road. Turn north for 1.5 mile (Quality Ridge Road becomes 120th Ave). Round barn on National Register was built in 1914 by Rob Kirkpatrick, grandfather of owner. It is intricate. (Adopt-a-Barn Award). Click here to see more.
Ridden-Hahn Barn, Vine Road, Dyersville (Delaware County) - Barn is on the property of the ethanol plant owned by Big River Resources. To view the barn, follow 332nd Avenue (X49) north from US 20, then turn left (west) onto Vine Road. The barn is located just west of the plant. The Ridden-Hahn barn dates back to the English settlement around Dyersville in the 1850s. It was built by William Ridden. During the 20th century it was owned by the Hahn family. We should all be grateful to Big River Resources for allowing us to view this barn and for giving it respect and care. It's one of the oldest barns in Iowa. Note: The Plant Manager asks that anyone who comes to see the barn please stay at the road and not go up to the barn. Click here to see more.
David & Charlotte Neises Barn 20987 Mud Lake Road, Dubuque (Dubuque County) - Take US 52 North out of Dubuque to Mud Lake Road. Try Google maps by clicking on this link- accuracy not guaranteed.
Mathias Neises emigrated from Germany and homesteaded on this farm in the 1860s, building a log cabin (around which the current farmhouse on the site was built) and barn for his growing family. The stone for the foundation was quarried on the farm.
The barn is built into the side of a hill, allowing hay to be loaded directly into the upper level while creating space below for dairy cows and horses. In the 1890s an addition to the entire barn was built onto the east end. A silo was added in the 1920s and a cinder block milkhouse was built in the 1940s. David added a modern milking parlor onto the barn in the 1980s.
The barn is unrestored, but still features its original unpainted cedar siding, stone foundation, barn doors, and handhewn beams held together with wooden pins. The farm has been in the Neises family for seven generations and was designated a Heritage Farm in 2014 (150 years in the same family). Click here to see more.
Jack Smith Family Barn , 20922 Asbury Rd., Durango (Dubuque County) - From Hwy 20 go North from Peosta on 5 Points Rd. Turn left on Asbury Rd to destination. The Smith barn was built in 1917 by a man named Jack Brehm. Mr. Brehm had a strong reputation in those days as being a real craftsman. Jack Smith’s great-great grandfather came to this site in 1853. Jack’s grandfather Joseph Smith operated a sawmill on the property and the frame for the barn came off the same place. Mr Brehm arrived at the site in the spring of 1917 with the frame that had been prepared over the winter. The labor bill was five hundred dollars. Jack Brehm built several other barns in the Asbury area as well. A barn dance was held in the loft upon completion. Several neighbors signed their names that night in the northeast corner of the loft. (Award of Distinction). Click here to see more
Gehlen barn, 100 N. Main Street (US 52), St. Donatus (Jackson County) This magnificent three-story limestone barn, one of the oldest (arguably built in 1839) in Iowa, sits in the middle of this historic Luxembourgish village. (Award of Distinction). Click here to see more.
Kaufman Barn, 6206 291st Street (Streff Road), St. Donatus (Jackson County) - From St. Donatus, take US 52 north one mile, and then take a right onto 291st Street (Streff Road) and travel 0.7 miles. Barn is on the right. The 30x80-foot bank barn is an early Iowa barn which was recently restored. The farm was homesteaded in the 1850s. Barn has table roof, large rolling doors on a track, entirely constructed from wood. A dirt floor remains with its original milk stanchions, horse stalls, long beam construction. The haymow door slides down the front of the barn on a track suspended by two large counter weights. Two log structures and a stone house are on the property. The barn recently received an award from the Dubuque County Historical Society. See more photos here.
Michels barn, 39016 308th Street, Bellevue (Jackson County) - Go three miles north of Bellevue on US 52 and turn right onto 308th Street. Barn is at first farm on the left. The 30'x50' pegged barn was built in 1926 and has been in the same family for three generations. The wainscot siding used on the barn became unaffordable during the Depression years and World War II era. Glass balls in the lightning rods are the rare color of lavender. (Award of Distinction). Another photo here.
Steines barn (no photo available), 36746 Bellevue-Cascade Road, Bellevue (Jackson County) - Go 1/2 mile west of Bellevue on IA 62. Turn right on Bellevue-Cascade Road (D61) and go 1.5 miles to barn. This simple, primitive barn was built in the early 1900s.
Clasen barn, 25219 200th Street, Bellevue (Jackson County) - Follow IA 62 southwest from Bellevue, then turn right onto 200th Street. Wider-than-usual barn has bark on support timbers. Interior photo here.
Delaney barn, 23477 Bellevue-Cascade Road, La Motte (Jackson County) - From US 61 south of Zwingle, take D61 east. This lovely farm is known as the Sprank farm. The large barn was built around 1900, and the smaller one in 1940. The large barn has wooden peg construction. Click here to see more.
Martin barn, 12258 222nd Avenue, Zwingle (Jackson County) – From US 61 south of Zwingle, at Otter's Creek, turn right (west) onto Bellevue Cascade Road (IA-D61) and go four or five miles and cross a bridge. Turn left (south) on 126th Ave and go a half mile to barn. Hand-pegged barn was built in 1880 and is 100x28 feet. Many inside features are hand-carved. Cement stands for draft horses have depressions for each foot. (Award of Distinction) Click here to see more, including interior.
The DeFries Barn on the Doris and Jack Dyas Farm, 17929 232nd Avenue, Maquoketa (Jackson County) - Go north out of Andrew on IA 62, then left on Y61- 250th Avenue (two miles) and left again on 180th St. Go 1/2 mile to first farm on left at 232nd Av. The 47 x 84-foot barn was built in 1885 by A.B. DeFries whose family settled in the area in the 1850s. It has post and beam pegged construction. Click here to see more.
Stromeyer barn, 37647 Iron Bridge Road, Spragueville (Jackson County) - Take IA 62 north out of Maquoketa to Iron Bridge Road turnoff (south of Andrew). Travel nine miles on Iron Bridge Road. (Or you can follow Iron Bridge Road out of Spragueville). The barn on the historic farm was restored by the family. A pioneer cemetery can be seen from the barn. (Award of Distinction) Click here to see more.
Schneckloth crib, 23553 200th Avenue, Davenport (Scott County) - Exit US 61 at Exit 127. Go east on LeClaire Road three miles. Then go south on 200th a half mile. Herbert Schneckloth, prominent Iowa farmer, whose family emigrated from Germany in 1854, built the landmark round crib in 1926. Work on the 50-feet in diameter structure was done with hand tools. The foundation was dug and poured by hand using a shovel and one-third of a bag of home mix at a time. Handmade forms were used to pour the concrete. The ventilation block tile and matching solid tile were brought from Adel by train and horse-drawn wagons. Click here to see more.
Frye barn, 11150 New Liberty Rd, Maysville (Scott County) – From Exit 292 of I-80, go northwest on IA 130 towards Maysville (website: http://www.smallfryefarm.com/). The Frye farms were settled in 1881. This dairy barn was built around 1921 by great grandfather William Frye, grandfather Arnold Frye and great uncle Alfred Frye. The barn was originally white, but was painted red about ten years ago. All siding is original. All stone and brick work was tuck-pointed in 1996. The farm was designated a Century Farm in 1981. The barn interior, including the hay mow, is essentially unchanged with the exception of window replacements in 1995. Click here to see more about the farm.
Zelle barn, 1503 Holland Street, Le Claire (Scott County) - Take Exit 306 off I-80. Turn left at lights (north) and go through Le Claire. Turn left on Holland Street. Continue up hill for 1.5 miles until blacktop ends. Drive is 100 feet on right. This is a 19th century family farm with one of the few barns left in Scott County. Click here to see more.
Riessen barn, 1190 York Avenue, Stockton (Muscatine County) - From Old Highway 6 (F58), one mile west of Y40 (west of Wolcott), go south on York Avenue 1.75 miles. Second place on the right. Barn is 40x80 and has space for 10 teams of horses on the east side of barn and 26 milk cows on the west side. Silo and silo shed were built in 1917. West addition was put on in 1961. Click here to see more.
Schroeder barn, 2738 130th Street, Wilton (Muscatine County) - Take Exit 271 off I-80 and go south five miles on IA 38 to 130th Street. Turn left for 1/4 mile. Barn (48x50) was built in 1900 and has roof rafter haymow with haymow door and track in tact. The foundation is river rock. The south end of the barn was never painted, so was left that way. Click here to see more.
Mulford barn, 3188 Highway 1 NE, Iowa City (Johnson County) - On IA 1, one mile north of the I-80 interchange, right after you cross the Rapid Creek bridge. Barn is on the right (east) side. Farm was originally owned by Henry Felkner, prosperous miller and farmer, who bought the land in 1837. The 30x67-foot barn is considered a Civil War barn and was built between 1840 and 1870. Old battens are attached with square nails. The framing employs hewn timber posts and beams. The barn was built in a single building "campaign" making it a large barn for not having an expansion. This is an important historical barn. Click here to see more.
Ulch barn, 4672 Sutliff Road, Solon (Johnson County) - On the north edge of Solon is a blacktop, Sutliff Road. Take it east one mile. This barn, built around 1905, is unique in that it is very primitive. The barn is used in farming.
Moershel buggy barn (Dennis Zuber), 4468 V Street, Homestead (Iowa County) - V Street is in Homestead, southeast of Amana, on US 6, east of US 151. Use the driveway at 4454 V Street. Doctor's buggy barn. Built in 1890. House in front of buggy barn was built in 1865 and occupied by the Moershel family. Dr. Moershel was chosen by the society to be trained as a doctor, and the barn housed horses and buggies, ready at all times for the doctor's use. Barn has a local stone foundation, recently reinforced with concrete. The 2-bay garage was added to the barn in 1933. Click here to see more.
Counties - Mahaska, Keokuk, Washington, Louisa, Wapello, Jefferson, Henry, Des Moines, Davis, Van Buren, and Lee.
Barns: 35. Strabala barn, 36. Bartelt barn, 37. Murphy barn, 38. Parsons barn.
Strabala barn, 1830 290th Street, Washington (Washington County) - From Washington, go south on IA 1 for 5.5 miles. Turn west on 290th and go one-half mile. The barn is on the right. This large barn was built in the 1920's. Click here to see photos before and after restoration.
Bartelt barn, 16296 Highway 61, Mediapolis (Des Moines County) - The barn is seven miles south of Mediapolis on US 61. The owners saw this landmark barn falling into disrepair and subsequently bought and restored it. It is peg and post basement barn with a limestone foundation. (Award of Distinction) Click here to see more.
Murphy barn, 7606 Stony Hollow Road, Burlington (Des Moines County) - Follow IA X99 north from Burlington, then turn west onto Stony Hollow Road (H50). Primitive historic barn has horse stalls, milking area, hog house, corn crib, cattle feeding area, and hay loft. Barn is still used for agriculture. (Award of Distinction). Click here to see more.
Parsons barn 22055 Highway 1, Keosauqua (Van Buren) County) - Highway IA 1 south of Keosauqua Bridge at the top of the hill on the west side. This is a small, but important, Pennsylvania style barn built for practical purposes rather than tradition on a gorgeous site above a village. The National Register barn was built in 1869. Click here to see more.
Click on the map, then click on a County & City.