IOWA BARN FOUNDATION 2011 All-State
2011 All-State Barn Tour
Saturday, October 15 and Sunday, October 16
Historic restored barns, throughout Iowa, were opened to the public during the Iowa Barn Foundation's free, two-day, self-guided, all-state barn tour Saturday, October 15 and Sunday, October 16 from 8:30 a.m. until 5:30 p.m.
The All-State Barn Tour allows visitors to view some of the most important and historic barns in Iowa. The Wegener barn is a huge turn-of-the-century double gambrel barn still an integral part of the Wegener family's farming operation. The Handsaker's huge square barn, built in 1870 on their farm, which was homesteaded in 1850, was recently restored with an Iowa Barn Foundation matching grant. This barn, like the others, has been restored from its limestone foundation all the way up to the cupola.
Most barns on tour have been restored with matching grants from the Iowa Barn Foundation. Other property owners received awards of distinction from the foundation for restorations they undertook themselves.
The barns on tour are typical of Iowa barns that have served farmers well. These restored barns illustrate how barns can be brought back to their original glory. Some of the barns listed below were featured in the Iowa Public Television Living in Iowa special, Saving Iowa's Barns. Others have been featured in newspapers such as the Des Moines Register and Iowa Farmer Today.
NORTHWEST IOWA BARNS
Johnson barn, 4594 Vine Avenue, Sutherland (O’Brien County)From Sutherland, travel one mile north on County Road M 12. The barn is on the northeast corner of the intersection of M12 and B 53. Barn was built about 1920 for John Adams, a dairy farmer. It has a footprint of over 2000 square feet. Twin cupolas and horse weathervanes are original. Arched rafters had to be hoisted in place with pulleys and horse power. This allowed for access to the loft without support poles.
Lorch Mennonite barn David and Jane Lorch, Ocheyedan, own a magnificent Mennonite barn which was built in 1889 and has a distinctive overhanging side. (A-34 (220th Street) and M-18 (White Avenue.)
Ackerman barn On the Todd and Susan Ackerman farm are barn and smaller “matching” hog house built between 1915 and 1918. The barn is 84x36-feet; the hog house is 56x24-feet. At one time two Russian carpenters lived in the haymow of the hog house. (One-half mile north of Ocheyedan on corner of L-58 and Highway 9.)
Harold Haspels barn, 1302 Kennedy Avenue, Ellsworth, Mn. 56129 Lyon County. $7250 Roof was moved to site in 1968. Large barn. 712 479 2465
Belfrage barn, 2410 Port Neal Road, Sergeant Bluff (Woodbury County)-Get off I 29 at the Port Neal exit and go south two miles to the first intersection. Then go north two miles. Farm is on the right. Owner Winston Belfrage's great-grandfather, John Belfrage, bought the land on which this barn stands in 1875 after serving in the Civil War. A carpenter named Aaron Gunderson built the barn on the land in 1910.
Roghair barn, 4242 430th St, Alton (Sioux County) –From Alton/Orange City exit on Highway 60, go two miles north and turn west on 430th Street. Go one-half mile to first farmstead on north side of road. Farm, purchased by Roghair family in 1935, has a magnificent collection of carefully maintained original buildings including 1911 summer kitchen and 1916 barn. The proud farm is still used for agriculture. (Award of Distinction)
Ascherl barn, 4680 McKinley, Granville (O’Brien/Sioux Counties) - From Granville, go one mile east on Highway 10 and a half mile south on gravel. Barn is on east side of road. This landmark barn was built in 1914 by Mr. Diers from Germantown. It is 60 x 54 feet.
Battaglioli barn, 4819 480th Street, Granville (O’Brien County) - From Granville, take Highway 10 east two miles. Turn south on Monroe and drive two miles to 480th Street. Then travel east a quarter of a mile. This is one of the few large barns left in the area..
Ferguson barn, 40415 130th Avenue, Laurens (Pocahontas County)-Barn is 3 ¾ miles straight north of Laurens at 40415 130th Avenue. Barn and landmark "conehead" crib were built in 1912. Elevator still works.
Clancy Barn, 1866 Marengo (Highway 4 and 7), Pomeroy (Pocahontas County)-Barn was built in 1948 by Leo Clancy, charter member of Charlois Association, who raised the cattle on the farm.
Mickelson barn, 5126 Highway 71, Storm Lake (Buena Vista County)-Barn is located 1 ¾ miles north of intersection of Highways 3 and 71 on the east side of the road. This huge (100x70x45) and distinct barn was built in 1901 to house 22 work horses. Barn has always been in the same family.
Jensen barn, 2410 560th Avenue, Ringsted (Emmett County)-Travel one mile east of Rringsted on blacktop. Then go one-eighth mile south on P12. Barn with attached milk house was built in 1938. Track and carriage in hayloft are still used to lift hay into the barn.
Dreyer barn, 102 310th Street, Fenton (Kossuth County) - From the south side of Fenton, turn west on County Road B 19. Go ¾ miles west to second place of south side of road. The farm has been in the family since 1900; barn was built in 1903 and used as dairy barn until 1944. There is a 1000-gallon wooden water storage tank in hayloft. Manure unloading system is intact.
NORTH CENTRAL IOWA BARNS
Haugen barn, 18446 420th Street, Leland (Winnebago County) - Go north out of Leland on US 69 to 420th Street (three miles). Turn right on 420th (gravel). It is the first place on north side. Barn was built in 1915. In 1924 Peter Haugen enlarged it using a handsaw to split the barn in two. He added to the middle.
Tenold barn, 4356 Wheelerwood Road, Northwood (Worth County)-Exit I 35 at Kensett/Joice. Go ¼ mile west to Wheelerwood Road. Turn north and travel 2.5 miles. Barn is across from what was the town of Tenold on the Iowa map until 1960.
Chizek barn, 1665 250th Street, Garner. Barn was built by owner’s grandfather, Albert Chizek, in 1942.
Rockafellow barn, 4484 Echo Avenue, St. Ansgar (Mitchell County) - Go north out of St. Ansgar on US 218 for two miles. Turn left at Echo Avenue. Beautiful bank barn, with a limestone foundation, was built in 1877 for horses and cattle. The timber was framed with wooden pegs.
Yezek barn, 22881 Vine Avenue, Plymouth (Cerro Gordo County) - From Rock Falls, go one mile north on the county blacktop. Barn is on the east side of the road. This 32- x 52-foot barn with metal cupola was built in 1930 and is one of the only barns standing in the area. The barn was in vulnerable condition when the Yezeks started the restoration project.
McBurney barn, 2550 Gotch Park Road, Humboldt (Humboldt County) - At the Westside elevator, turn right. Go to Gotch Park Road and take the black top 2.5 miles. Stephen Taft, who founded Springvale which became Humboldt, owned the land on which this barn stands. In 1874 he sold the land to Lorbeers who built the house and barn, both still in use. The barn was built in 1890.
Bennett barn, 1664 Eagle Avenue, Latimer (Franklin County) - Take I-35 to State Highway 3. Turn west on 3 and go one mile to Eagle Avenue. Turn north and go 2.5 miles. This handsome clay tile barn, with round laminated rafter roof, was built in 1950 by Henning Construction Company, Latimer, for a dairy herd. The cow stanchions had drinking cups; there is a chain lift manure carrier.
Klousia barn, 1766 165th St., Hampton (Franklin County) - At the intersection of Highways 65 and 3 in Hampton, turn east for two miles. Then travel north for two miles and finally west a fourth mile to the barn. The barn of peg construction is on a hill on a gorgeous farmstead. The owner copied a Wisconsin dairy barn when he built it in 1888. The barn was proudly placed on the most prominent position on the farm.
Dodd barn, 1854 40th Street, Ackley (Franklin County) - Travel four miles west of Ackley on Highway 57. Turn north on S55 for two miles to 40th Street. Go ½ mile west. Barn was built by Ernest Aldinger, one of three Aldinger brothers who built farms within a mile of each other.
Younker Family Heritage Farm barn, 25734 Highway 57, south of Parkersburg, (Butler County)-Take Highway 14 north of US 20 to Highway 57 and turn east. This large (112x30) barn has been in the same family since the barn was built in 1875. The landmark barn was recently lovingly restored by Eleanor Tostlebe Peterson and family.(Award of Distinction.)
Welter barn, 13725 X, Avenue, Cedar Falls (Black Hawk County)-Original blueprints developed by Agricultural Engineering Department, Iowa State. It was built in 1947. Working farm was purchased in 1867 by Ole Johnson and has been in the same family since.
James Michels barn, 1278 Mason Avenue, Stanley (Buchanan County)-From Hazelton, go east on C 57 for three miles to Mason Avenue. Turn south and go 3/4 miles. Barn is on the east.
Redwood tongue and groove 40’x 80’ barn was built in 1947. The family has raised Angus cattle since 1947.
NORTH EAST IOWA BARNS
Chimney Rock Ranch, 1245 Chimney Rock Road, Waterville, (Allamakee County) From stop light in Waukon, travel east on Elon Road (A 52) about 6.8 miles to Chimney Rock Road-T intersection.. Turn right onto Chimney Rock Road and travel south. Large building is corn crib, granary, hog barn, and machine shed and was built in two parts in 1907-08. The corncrib/granary has a basement for hogs. The second part was added to the north end of the original building later that year or the next year.
Lea-Oakley Barn, 2279 County Road W 42, Decorah. Native limestone Norwegian barn was built by John Johnson in 1862. Original materials are in tact. Barn has a gambrel roof with wooden shingles that was probably added at a later date. Original roof would have been a gable roof.
Marlow-Saak barn, 1431 Pole Line Road, Waukon, (Allamakee County)-From Decorah, take Highway 9 to Pole Line Road (near Waukon). Turn north and go across old Highway 9 onto the gravel (still Pole Line). First farm on right. Barn, built in 1890s, is 70x40. Saak family names are on interior.”As an immigrant form England and recent American citizen, I have come to realize Midwestern barns are like the churches and cathedrals of Europe in scale and importance to the landscape,” wrote the owner.
Hotvedt barn, 1996 County Road A 14, west of Hesper on the state line-(Winneshiek County). John McMullens bought farm from government in 1852 for $1.25 and acre. Nearby Mable, Minnesota’s steam engine days started on the farm. Farm was in family until 1990.
Dighton barn, 3344 120th Avenue, Coggon (Delaware County) - Take paved road going west out of town for one mile to Quality Ridge Road. Turn north for 1.5 mile. Round barn on National Register was built in 1914 by Rob Kirkpatrick, grandfather of owner. It is intricate. (Adopt-a-Barn Award)
Geschke barn, 1744 McCloud, New Hampton (Chickasaw County)-Go two miles north of New Hampton on US 63 (mile marker #207). Barn, on a hill on US 63, was built in the 1940s.
WEST CENTRAL IOWA BARNS
Finken barn, 3005 335th Street, Logan (Harrison County) - Take I-80 west to I-680. Proceed west to Exit 21 which is L 34 (Beebeetown). Turn east (F 66) for 1.5 miles. Land has been in family since 1892; barn was built in 1917. Roof has laminated rafters which were raised into place with gin pole and horses. Each rafter is five boards thick bolted together and cut in curved shape.
Ellis barn, 2370 Fletcher Avenue, Lytton (Calhoun County)-The barn is three miles east and 2.5 miles north of Lytton. Landmark red barn, used to raise Red Rock Arabians, is called the “big red barn” by locals. It was built in 1918 and is 40 feet high to the eaves. It has 3x12-inch timbers.
Renze barn, 22695 Highway 71, Carroll (Carroll County) –Three miles west of Carroll. Farm was known as “Old Mattes Place.”
Heflin barn, 837 Orange Road, Harlan (Shelby County) - From the intersection of US 59 and State 44, go four miles east on 44 to Orange road. Then go one and a fourth mile south. Farm is on the east side of the road. Once there were several of these unique barns in the area, but this is the only one remaining. The barn, built in 1901 and featuring a roofline of four equidistant gabled sides, has been used by four generations of Heflins.
Hinderaker barn, 2698 Jaguar Trail, Guthrie Center (Guthrie County) - From Guthrie Center, go west on Highway 44 for three miles. Turn left on Jaguar and go 4.5 miles south. The original barn was built at the turn of the century. It burned down in 1931, and the present barn was built.
Caltrider barn, 3016 Juniper, Casey (Guthrie County) - Exit I-80 at Casey and take Whitepole Road to Highway 25. Turn north for three miles to 310th . Turn left, and go four miles west to Juniper Avenue. Farm is ¾ mile north on east side of road. Farm has been in same family since 1883. Simple barn was built in 1917. (Award of Distinction)
CENTRAL IOWA BARNS
Oakdale Farm/Grave of Farceur, 787 210th Street, (Boone County)- Take old Highway 30 to Ogden and turn north on P70 for one mile to 210th Street. Turn right to 787. The barn is on the left side of the road. The barn, where Farceur, the world-famous Belgian was buried in 1921, is one of Iowa's hidden treasures. C.G. Good, bought 12-year-old Farceur, the San Francisco World's Fair champion, for $47,000 in 1915. The horse was a service stud, and, to this day, Farceur's name is on pedigrees of Belgians. Following a European custom, Good buried the horse in the stall of the stud barn-standing up. It took several days for several men to dig the grave. The Good family has spent two years meticulously restoring this barn—even replacing red elm boards with the real thing.
Apland/Freeland Barn, 57304 Highway 210, Cambridge (Story County)-Get off I 35 at Highway 210 exit and go east. Visible-from freeway, barn is on south side of the road. Glorious pegged barn was built by Jens Russell for Norwegian immigrant, Oley Apland. Original carving, arguably written by Oley Apland in English and Norwegian, marks date construction was completed. (This building is built by Jens Russell from Cambridge in year 1875.) Structural beams are walnut. Barn sits in historic Norwegian settlement and remains in the original family. (Award of Distinction)
Thurmond-Adams barn,South edge of Williams (Hamilton County) - From D 25 (Old 30) south of Williams, turn north on R 75. Turn right on 4th, right on Spruce, and right on Evergreen. Owner recently inherited old tongue and groove barn (36 x 63 feet), with two-inch vertical siding, and two acres from his uncle. He has brought the sad-looking structure so that it is a Williams landmark. (Award of Distinction)
Sparks barn, 15737 E. Avenue, Alden (Hardin County) - Take Alden/Buckeye exit off US 20. Go north to D25. Go west to Avenue. E. G. Herman, 1923, Dubuque, is painted on west inside wall of this very large barn.
Uetz barn, 2011 180th Street at U Avenue (Boone County) - From Highway 30, take Highway 17 north for five miles (curves and stop signs). Turn right at 180th Street and go east one mile. Barn built by William Smalley, well-known Boone County farmer. Original buildings are on farm including chicken house where family lived in the beginning.
Handsaker barn, 65627 200th, Fernald (Story County) - Barn is immediately southeast of Fernald which is off E 29 west of U.S. 65, north of Colo. Large, unique 1875 square barn is on farm purchased by Handsakers in 1853. Family gave land for Fernald.
Twedt barn, 63645 160th Street, Nevada (Story County) From junction of E14 (Old Highway 30) and S14 in Nevada, turn north and go six miles to 160th Street. Turn east for 1.5 miles. This barn has 40 two-ply laminate rafters to support its rounded roof so the hayloft is free of posts and beams. Farm was once owned by Hoyt Sherman, brother of the Civil War general. This is a wonderful example of how a small barn can highlight a farm.
Pfantz Barn, 210 4th Avenue NE., State Center (Marshall County) - From US 30, go into State Center. Fourth Street is on north side of railroad tracks. Barn is behind Victorian house. Unique horse barn was built in 1902 for Pfantz's great-grandfather, well-known horse broker. The barn has such unique features as handmade screens and a milk cellar. Note the balloon rafters.
Purviance barn, 21501 H Avenue, Minburn. (Dallas County) - Take P58 (from Perry, go south at Hy-Vee corner or from Highway 44, go north) to F 31. Turn west for two miles. Turn south on H Avenue (gravel) and go ½ mile to first farm on west side of road. Local craftsmen built this historic family farm in 1913 for Robert Purviance, prominent Dallas County farmer. The house and two barns are original.
Richards barn, 2201 R, Jamaica, (Greene County)-Go three miles south of Old 30 on Q Avnue (P30) which becomes R Avenue. The Thornburgh Home Place shows off all of the original buildings, which have been lovingly preserved, including a 1930s milking barn with original stanchions. (Award of Distinction)
Hanson barn, 11590 N. 87th Av. W., Mingo (Jasper County) - At the junctions of Highways 65, 330, and 117, continue northeast on 330. Go one mile to F 17 and turn east for 0.4 of a mile to W. 122nd St. N., and turn right. Go 0.4 of a mile to 87th Av. W and turn left. The barn is a little over 0.7 of a mile on the left side of the road. Barn was built in 1907 with wood from older barn demolished by a tornado. Pegged barn was built by Elmer Haley and the Hansons.
Gary Richardson barn, 624 E. 150th St. N., Grinnell (Poweshiek County)-From Grinnell, go south three miles on #146; then go west on 410th three miles. Barn on southside. Barn was built in the mid-1940s. Much of the wood used in the interior was from wood used in clearing the land.
Ihde barn, 6647 E. 136th Street N., Grinnell (Poweshiek County)-From Grinnell, take Highway 6 west to T 38; turn north. Take F 27 for 1.5 miles to 136th N. Barn was designed to emphasize the short, compact body of Angus via two contrasting ceiling levels and higher center alley floor as compared to pen floor. Ceiling above cattle made cattle appear to have larger body size relative to the space they occupied. Young couple, beginning farmers, are restoring the farm.
Lang barn, 2334 Sixth Street, Grinnell (Poweshiek County)-This early twentieth century brick barn is a landmark in Grinnell. It is restored. A smaller barn, across the road, was built in 1896 and is used for agriculture. (Award of Distinction)
EAST CENTRAL IOWA BARNS
Strabala barn, 1830 290th Street, Washington (Washington County)-From Washington, go south on Highway 1 for 5.5 miles. Turn west on 290th and go one-half mile. The barn is on the right. This large barn was built in the 1920’s by distinguished United States Senator Smith Brookhart while he was in office. Barn is important to Iowa and America.
Clasen barn, 25219 200th Street, Bellevue (Jackson County) - Wider-than-usual barn has bark on support timbers.
Steines barn, 36746 Bellevue-Cascade Road, Bellevue ( Go ½ mi w of Bellevue on Highway 62. Turn right on Bellevue-Cascade Road and go 1.5 miles to barn.) This simple, primitive barn was built in the early 1900s,
Delaney barn, 23477 Bellevue-Cascade Road, LeMotte (Jackson County) - This lovely farm is known as the Sprank farm. The large barn was built around 1900, and the smaller one in 1940. The large barn has wooden peg construction.
The DeFries Barn on the Doris and Jack Dyas Farm, 17929 232nd Avenue, Maquoketa (Jackson County) - Go north out of Andrew on Highway 62, then left on Y61- 250th Avenue (two miles) and left again on 180th St. Go ½ miles to first farm on left at 232nd Av. The 47 x 84-foot barn was built in 1885 by A.B. DeFries whose family settled in the area in the 1850s. It has post and beam pegged construction.
Gehlen barn, Main Street, St. Donatus (Jackson County) - This magnificent three-story limestone barn, one of the oldest (arguably built in 1839) in Iowa, sits in the middle of this historic Luxembourgish village. (Award of Distinction)
Michels barn, 39016 308th Street, Bellevue (Jackson County) - Pegged barn was built in 1926 and has been in the same family for three generations. (Award of Distinction)
Stromeyer barn, 37647 Iron Bridge Road, Spragueville (Jackson County) - From Maquoketa, go east on Highway 64 for 14 miles. Turn left on H 113 to Spragueville. At stop sign in Spragueville, turn left onto Iron Bridge Road and go two miles. Or, take Highway 62 north out of Maquoketa to Iron Bridge Road turnoff south of Andrew. Travel nine miles on Iron Bridge Road. The Stromeyer farm is a beloved historic family farm. The barn was restored by the family. A pioneer cemetery can be seen from the barn. (Award of Distinction)
Ulch barn, 4672 Sutliff Road, Solon (Johnson County) - On the north edge of Solon is a blacktop, Sutliff Road. Take it east one mile. This barn, built around 1905, is unique in that it is very primitive. The barn is used in farming.
Schneckloth crib, 23553 200th Avenue, Eldridge (Scott County) - Exit US 61 at Exit 127. Go east on LeClaire Road three miles. Then go south on 200th a half mile. Herbert Schneckloth, prominent Iowa farmer, whose family emigrated from Germany in 1854, built the landmark round crib in 1926. Work on the 50-feet in diameter structure was done with hand tools. The foundation was dug and poured by hand using a shovel and one-third of a bag of home mix at a time. Handmade forms were used to pour the concrete. The ventilation block tile and matching solid tile were brought from Adel by train and horse-drawn wagons.
Zelle barn, 1503 Holland Street, Le Claire (Scott County) - Take #306 exit off I-80. Turn left at lights (north) and go through Le Claire. Turn left on Holland Street. Continue up hill for 1.5 miles until blacktop ends. Drive is 100 feet on right. This is a 19th century family farms with one of the few barns left in Scott County.
Peters Barn, 19077 H Avenue, Perry- (Dallas County) From the intersection of P58 and Highway 141, Perry, go south on P 58 to 190th Street and turn right.
Henry and Florence Spintig purchased farm about 1903. The main buildings on the home site were present at that time. The barn has been used for farming by the same family since 1934.The barn is interesting because it has cut out squares incorporated into the beams.
Kochersperger barn, 64094 US 59 (Mills County) - Four miles south of Emerson. Jacob Kochersperger farm has been in the family since 1870. Barn was built in 1941 and is a treasure on the landscape.
SOUTH CENTRAL IOWA BARNS
Beeler barn, 2569 140th Street, Van Meter (Madison County) - From DeSoto, go south on Highway 169. Turn east on 130th Street to stop sign. Then go south on Prairieview Avenue and finally east on 140th Street. Barn is in what was a strong German settlement. Barn was built by the Burger brothers including one who became the first county agent in Iowa.
McBroom-Hargis barn,1218 Highway 169, Winterset (Madison County) - Barn is five miles south of I-80 (Adel, De Soto, Winterset exit). Article in Madison County paper (1884) discussed this barn, “It would be the largest barn in this part of the county.” It has a wooden track, post and beam, pegs and was designed by I.F. Carter of De Soto.
Mulford Barn, 3130 Highway l NE, Iowa City (Johnson County) Farm was originally owned by Henry Felkner, prosperous miller and farmer, who bought the land in 1837.The 30x67-foot barn is considered a Civil War barn and was built between 1840 and 1870. Old battens are attached with square nails. The framing employs hewn timber posts and beams. The barn was built in a single building “campaign” making it a large barn for not having an expansion. This is an important historical barn.
Cutkomp barn, 22682 120th Street, Columbus Junction (Louisa County) - Take Highway 92 from Columbus Junction south to Columbus City. From Columbus City, go straight south. The road becomes gravel and T Avenue. Make the “S” turn and go straight two miles to 120th Street. Take a left (east), and it’s the first barn on the north. Barn was originally built by Lewis Cutkomp in 1911. Native lumber was harvested on the place for the barn which was put together with wooden pegs. Cutkomp bought the farm in the late 1800s, and it has remained in the family.
Murphy barn, 7606 Stony Hollow Road, Burlington (Des Moines County)-Stony Hollow Road goes off Highway 99. Primitive historic barn has horse stalls, milking area, hog house, corn crib, cattle feeding area, and hay loft. Barn is still used for agriculture. (Award of Distinction)
Irwin barn, 4753 85th Street, Batavia (Wapello County)-Go east from Ottumwa on US 34 to Eldon-Competine Road exit. Drive north to first crossroad, then left onto 85th Street. Barn is in pasture. Go through gate, to access barn and grain bin, but close afterwards. Even in depression times, when this barn was built, more expensive three-pin construction of beams rather than standard two-pin construction was used on beams. Has three-hip roof or three level roof. Barn is near Yaapa flag station on old narrow gauge track.
Parsons barn, 22055 Highway 1, Keosauqua (Van Buren) County)-Highway 1 south of Keosauqua Bridge at the top of the hill on the west side. This is a small, but important, Pennsylvania style barn built for practical purposes rather than tradition on a gorgeous site above a village. The National Register barn was built in 1869.
Kosman barn, 10611 240th Avenue, Weldon (Decatur County) - From Osceola, take US 69 south 10 miles to Clarke-Decatur Street. Turn east and go one mile to first gravel road. Turn south. Barn is second house on the west side. Barn, built in 1907, was the scene of large barn dances. Barn has always been used for horses and cows.
Ramsey barn, east of Mount Ayr on Highway 2 at Lesanville Road (Ringgold County) - From I-35, take Highway 2 west 25 miles to Lesanville Road. (Lesanville Road is five miles west of Kellerton.) Turn north on Lesanville Road and travel one-fourth mile. Solomon Lesan, one of the first settlers in the county, obtained the farm from the government in 1855. The village of Lesanville, site of the barn, has recently been restored.
McCaughey barn, 2531 Highway 2 (1/2 mile west of Ramsey barn on south side of road) (Ringgold County) - From I-35, take Highway 2 west 25 miles past Lesanville Road. Howard Lesan built this large (40- x 80-foot) barn for his dairy, the first in the county. This barn was built in 1929 after a fire took an earlier one.
Vandewater barn, 3100 270th Street, Hebron, (Adair County)-Between Greenfield and Winterset, take Vinton Avenue south of Highway 92 to 270th Street. Go one mile west of Hebron Methodist Church. Barn was built by Henry Vandewater in 1911 and has been in the family since. It has notched beams, pegs, mortise and tendon joints and a memorable wooden cupola.