Historic restored barns, throughout Iowa, were open to the public during the Iowa Barn Foundation’s free, self-guided, 2016 All-State Barn Tour on Saturday, September 24 and Sunday, September 25 - 8:30am-5:30pm each day. Scroll down to take the virtual tour.
Most barns on tour have been restored with matching grants from the Iowa Barn Foundation. Other property owners received awards of distinction from the foundation for restorations they undertook themselves .
Note - Since conditions change, some photos may not show the current state of a particular barn.
Some barns show more photos and/or information by clicking on the underlined text.
The Eastern Division (this page) covers -
East-North Counties -
Mitchell, Howard, Winneshiek, Allamakee, Floyd, Chickasaw, Fayette, Clayton, Butler, and Bremer.
East-Center Counties -
Grundy, Blackhawk, Buchanan, Delaware, Dubuque, Tama, Benton, Linn, Jones, Jackson, Poweshiek, Iowa, Johnson, Cedar, Clinton, Scott, and Muscatine.
East-South Counties -
Mahaska, Keokuk, Washington, Louisa, Wapello, Jefferson, Henry, Des Moines, Davis, Van Buren, and Lee.
Counties - Mitchell, Howard, Winneshiek, Allamakee, Floyd, Chickasaw, Fayette, Clayton, Butler, and Bremer.
Younker Family Heritage Farm barn, 25734 Hwy 57, Parkersburg (Butler County) - Three miles east of Parkersburg, on IA 57. This large (112'x30') barn has been in the same family since the barn was built in the late 1800's. Inside the barn is a 16'x24' wooden silo that was manufactured by the Indiana Silo company and was built around 1909. This landmark barn was recently lovingly restored by Eleanor Tostlebe Peterson and family. (Award of Distinction). Click here to see exterior and interior photos.
The Miller barn (no photo available), 310 20th Street SW, Waverly (Bremer County) - The Miller barn is on IA 3 on the west edge of downtown Waverly. It is south of Redeemer Lutheran Church, east of CUNA Mutual campus, and west of Bremwood and Lutheran Services of Iowa. This barn was built in 1914 by W.H Miller and his brother, Gilbert, and constructed with locally grown cedar and native oak. The Miller Guernsey Dairy was one of over 20 dairies in Bremer County from 1920 to 1940. The Miller dairy helped supply the local Carnation Company with milk for condensed milk. Click here to read more of the story.
Buckley barn, 12178 200th St, Elma (Howard County) - About 1 mile south of Lourdes, on US 63, turn west onto 200th Street and go two miles to the barn, which is on the south side of 200th Street. Barn was built in 1915 on land given to family by President Buchanan. Click here to see more.
Ellingson barn, 19987 Timber Avenue, Cresco, (Howard County) - About 1 mile south of Lourdes, on US 63, turn east onto 200th Street. Just past the Stephen Wildlife Area, turn north onto Timber Avenue. The barn can be seen from Dr. Borlaug’s farm, half a mile away. The family farm has been beautifully restored. Another photo here.
Gribble barn, 3109 155th Street, Ft. Atkinson (Winneshiek County) - From New Hampton, take IA 24 east for 19 miles to 295th Avenue (or take IA 24 about 3 miles west of Fort Atkinson to 295th Avenue). Turn north onto 295th Avenue, then in 2.5 miles turn left onto 155th Street and go 1.5 miles to the barn. Czech barn on lovely farm has always been in family. This barn was featured in a New York Times article on June 1, 2012. Another photo here.
Hotvedt barn, 1996 County Road A14, Decorah (Winneshiek County) - The barn is about 1 mile west of Hesper on A14, which is close the Minnesota/Iowa boundary. John McMullens bought farm from government in 1852 for $1.25 and acre. Nearby, Mable Minnesota's steam engine days started on the farm. Another photo here.
Lea-Oakley barn, 2279 County Road W42, Decorah (Winneshiek County) - From IA 9, near the Decorah airport, turn south onto W42. Native limestone Norwegian barn was built by John Johnson in 1862. Original materials are intact. Barn has a gambrel roof with wooden shingles that was probably added at a later date. Original roof would have been a gable roof. Click here to see more.
Kruger barn, 310 Northline Drive, Waukon (Allamakee County) - From Decorah, follow IA 9 east to the intersection with IA 51. Here, turn left (north) onto Apple Road (gravel road), then go one mile and turn right onto Northline Drive. Farm is first on the left. Farm is first on the left. Large dairy barn was built in 1915 and has been in family for 50 years. (From Waukon, go south on Highway 9, then turn right to follow 9 westward. Take a right (north) onto Apple Road (gravel road) and go one mile to Northline Drive. Take a right. Farm is first on the left). Another photo here.
Scholtes barn (no photo available), 2207 Gruber Ridge Road, Lansing (Allamakee County) - From IA 9, about 2 miles west of Lansing, turn north onto Gruber Ridge Road, and go 2.5 miles to the barn. 1920s barn on beautiful site dedicated to family's sheep operations.
Chimney Rock Ranch barn, 1245 Chimney Rock Road, Waterville (Allamakee County) - From stop light in Waukon, travel east on Elon Road (A52) about 6.8 miles to Chimney Rock Road. Turn right (south) onto Chimney Rock Road and travel south. Large building is corn crib, granary, hog barn, and machine shed and was built in two parts in 1907-08. The corncrib/granary has a basement for hogs. The second part was added to the north end of the original building later that year or the next year. (Award of Distinction). Click here to see more.
Kolsrud Barn, 1243 Gjefle Drive, Waukon (Allamakee County) - From intersection of IA 9 and IA 76, one mile south of Waukon, travel 4.7 miles southeast on IA 76 toward Rossville. About 1.7 miles before Rossville turn left on Cardinal Road (gravel). Travel l.l mile curving to the north. Turn right onto Gjefle Drive (gravel) and follow it east and northeast for half a mile to the barn.. Known as Jacob Johnson/Clark, the Kolsrud barn was built in 1870. Jacob Johnson came from Norway and purchased the barn with 80 acres in 1862. He paid $500 for the farm. Timber used in barn from his farm. Rock quarried from 100 yards from barn location. He used oxen in building the barn. Click here to see more photos and the story of this barn.
Counties - Grundy, Blackhawk, Buchanan, Delaware, Dubuque, Tama, Benton, Linn, Jones, Jackson, Poweshiek, Iowa, Johnson, Cedar, Clinton, Scott, and Muscatine.
Hayward barn, 1520 County Highway V37, Dysart (Tama County) - 3.5 miles north of Dysart on Hwy V37. Owner’s great-grandfather, Charles Hayward, purchased farm in 1881. Barn, built in 1916, is 66 feet in diameter. It may have been constructed by Johnston Brothers Clay Works, Ft. Dodge because of size of clay bricks used. Click here to read more of the story and see more photos. And see an online Des Moines Register article about this barn.
Welter barn, 13725 X Avenue, Cedar Falls (Grundy County) - Southwest of Cedar Falls, east of Dike, north of US 20, south of IA57. (X Avenue is also shown on Google as T65 and Fredsville Ave.) Original blueprints developed by Agricultural Engineering Department, Iowa State. It was built in 1947. Working farm was purchased in 1867 by Ole Johnson and has been in the same family since. Click here to see more.
James Michels barn, 1278 Mason Avenue, Stanley (Buchanan County) - From Hazelton (on IA 150), go east on C57 for three miles to Mason Avenue. Turn south and go 3/4 miles. Barn is on the east. Redwood tongue and groove 40'x 80' barn was built in 1947 when the family started raising Angus cattle. Click here to see more.
Dighton barn, 3344 120th Avenue, Coggon (Delaware County) - Take paved road (D62) going west out of Coggon (in Linn Cnty) for one mile to Quality Ridge Road. Turn north for 1.5 mile (Quality Ridge Road becomes 120th Ave). Round barn on National Register was built in 1914 by Rob Kirkpatrick, grandfather of owner. It is intricate. (Adopt-a-Barn Award). Click here to see more.
Ridden-Hahn Barn, Vine Road, Dyersville (Delaware County) - Barn is on the property of the ethanol plant owned by Big River Resources. To view the barn, follow 332nd Avenue (X49) north from US 20, then turn left (west) onto Vine Road. The barn is located just west of the plant. The Ridden-Hahn barn dates back to the English settlement around Dyersville in the 1850s. It was built by William Ridden. During the 20th century it was owned by the Hahn family. We should all be grateful to Big River Resources for allowing us to view this barn and for giving it respect and care. It's one of the oldest barns in Iowa. Note: The Plant Manager asks that anyone who comes to see the barn please stay at the road and not go up to the barn. Click here to see more.
David & Charlotte Neises Barn 20987 Mud Lake Road, Dubuque (Dubuque County) - Take US 52 North out of Dubuque to Mud Lake Road. Try Google maps by clicking on this link- accuracy not guaranteed.
Mathias Neises emigrated from Germany and homesteaded on this farm in the 1860s, building a log cabin (around which the current farmhouse on the site was built) and barn for his growing family. The stone for the foundation was quarried on the farm.
The barn is built into the side of a hill, allowing hay to be loaded directly into the upper level while creating space below for dairy cows and horses. In the 1890s an addition to the entire barn was built onto the east end. A silo was added in the 1920s and a cinder block milkhouse was built in the 1940s. David added a modern milking parlor onto the barn in the 1980s.
The barn is unrestored, but still features its original unpainted cedar siding, stone foundation, barn doors, and handhewn beams held together with wooden pins. The farm has been in the Neises family for seven generations and was designated a Heritage Farm in 2014 (150 years in the same family). Click here to see more.
Gehlen barn, 100 N. Main Street (US 52), St. Donatus (Jackson County) This magnificent three-story limestone barn, one of the oldest (arguably built in 1839) in Iowa, sits in the middle of this historic Luxembourgish village. (Award of Distinction) Click here to see more.
Michels barn, 39016 308th Street, Bellevue (Jackson County) - Go three miles north of Bellevue on US 52 and turn right onto 308th Street. Barn is at first farm on the left. The 30'x50' pegged barn was built in 1926 and has been in the same family for three generations. The wainscot siding used on the barn became unaffordable during the Depression years and World War II era. Glass balls in the lightning rods are the rare color of lavender. (Award of Distinction). Another photo here.
Steines barn (no photo available), 36746 Bellevue-Cascade Road, Bellevue (Jackson County) - Go 1/2 mile west of Bellevue on IA 62. Turn right on Bellevue-Cascade Road (D61) and go 1.5 miles to barn. This simple, primitive barn was built in the early 1900s.
Clasen barn, 25219 200th Street, Bellevue (Jackson County) - Follow IA 62 southwest from Bellevue, then turn right onto 200th Street. Wider-than-usual barn has bark on support timbers. Interior photo here.
Delaney barn, 23477 Bellevue-Cascade Road, La Motte (Jackson County) - From US 61 south of Zwingle, take D61 east. This lovely farm is known as the Sprank farm. The large barn was built around 1900, and the smaller one in 1940. The large barn has wooden peg construction. Click here to see more.
The DeFries Barn on the Doris and Jack Dyas Farm, 17929 232nd Avenue, Maquoketa (Jackson County) - Go north out of Andrew on IA 62, then left on Y61- 250th Avenue (two miles) and left again on 180th St. Go 1/2 mile to first farm on left at 232nd Av. The 47 x 84-foot barn was built in 1885 by A.B. DeFries whose family settled in the area in the 1850s. It has post and beam pegged construction. Click here to see more.
Trenkamp Barn, 893 450th Ave. Preston (Jackson County) - Take IA 64 east out of Preston, turn south onto 450th Ave. Pass cemetery. Barn was built by Justin Berg in 1926. Bernard and Correna Trenkamp purchased the farm in 1945 and used it for dairy cows and horses, and when the horses were no longer needed, the dairy was expanded. When the Trenkamps retired in 1974, Steve and Doris purchased the farm. Steve has been restoring the barn using native lumber when possible. (Award of Distinction)
Schneckloth crib, 23553 200th Avenue, Davenport (Scott County) - Exit US 61 at Exit 127. Go east on LeClaire Road three miles. Then go south on 200th a half mile. Herbert Schneckloth, prominent Iowa farmer, whose family emigrated from Germany in 1854, built the landmark round crib in 1926. Work on the 50-feet in diameter structure was done with hand tools. The foundation was dug and poured by hand using a shovel and one-third of a bag of home mix at a time. Handmade forms were used to pour the concrete. The ventilation block tile and matching solid tile were brought from Adel by train and horse-drawn wagons. Click here to see more.
Zelle barn, 1503 Holland Street, Le Claire (Scott County) - Take Exit 306 off I-80. Turn left at lights (north) and go through Le Claire. Turn left on Holland Street. Continue up hill for 1.5 miles until blacktop ends. Drive is 100 feet on right. This is a 19th century family farm with one of the few barns left in Scott County. Click here to see more.
Riessen barn, 1190 York Avenue, Stockton (Muscatine County) - From Old Highway 6 (F58), one mile west of Y40 (west of Wolcott), go south on York Avenue 1.75 miles. Second place on the right. Barn is 40x80 and has space for 10 teams of horses on the east side of barn and 26 milk cows on the west side. Silo and silo shed were built in 1917. West addition was put on in 1961. Click here to see more.
Schroeder barn, 2738 130th Street, Wilton (Muscatine County) - Take Exit 271 off I-80 and go south five miles on IA 38 to 130th Street. Turn left for 1/4 mile. Barn (48x50) was built in 1900 and has roof rafter haymow with haymow door and track in tact. The foundation is river rock. The south end of the barn was never painted, so was left that way. Click here to see more.
Mulford barn, 3188 Highway 1 NE, Iowa City (Johnson County) - On IA 1, one mile north of the I-80 interchange, right after you cross the Rapid Creek bridge. Barn is on the right (east) side. Farm was originally owned by Henry Felkner, prosperous miller and farmer, who bought the land in 1837. The 30x67-foot barn is considered a Civil War barn and was built between 1840 and 1870. Old battens are attached with square nails. The framing employs hewn timber posts and beams. The barn was built in a single building "campaign" making it a large barn for not having an expansion. This is an important historical barn. Click here to see more.
Moershel buggy barn (Dennis Zuber), 4468 V Street, Homestead (Iowa County) - V Street is in Homestead, southeast of Amana, on US 6, east of US 151. Use the driveway at 4454 V Street. Doctor's buggy barn. Built in 1890. House in front of buggy barn was built in 1865 and occupied by the Moershel family. Dr. Moershel was chosen by the society to be trained as a doctor, and the barn housed horses and buggies, ready at all times for the doctor's use. Barn has a local stone foundation, recently reinforced with concrete. The 2-bay garage was added to the barn in 1933. Click here to see more.
Gary Richardson barn, 624 E. 150th St. N., Grinnell (Poweshiek County) - From Grinnell, go south three miles on IA 146, then go west on 410th for three miles. Barn on southside. Barn was built in the mid-1940s. Much of the wood used in the interior was from wood used in clearing the land. Another photo here.
Counties - Mahaska, Keokuk, Washington, Louisa, Wapello, Jefferson, Henry, Des Moines, Davis, Van Buren, and Lee.
Strabala barn, 1830 290th Street, Washington (Washington County) - From Washington, go south on IA 1 for 5.5 miles. Turn west on 290th and go one-half mile. The barn is on the right. This large barn was built in the 1920's. Click here to see photos before and after restoration.
Murphy barn, 7606 Stony Hollow Road, Burlington (Des Moines County) - Follow IA X99 north from Burlington, then turn west onto Stony Hollow Road (H50). Primitive historic barn has horse stalls, milking area, hog house, corn crib, cattle feeding area, and hay loft. Barn is still used for agriculture. (Award of Distinction). Click here to see more.
Click on the map, then click on a County & City.