Historic restored barns, throughout Iowa, will be open to the public during the Iowa Barn Foundation’s free, self-guided, 2017 All-State Barn Tour on Saturday, September 23 and Sunday, September 24 - 8:30am-5:30pm each day. Scroll down to take the virtual tour.
Most barns on tour have been restored with matching grants from the Iowa Barn Foundation.
Other barns received an Award of Distinction from the IBF for restorations the owners undertook themselves.
Note - Since conditions change, some photos may not show the current state of a particular barn.
The Central Area (this page) includes -
North central Counties -
Winnebago, Worth, Hancock, Cerro Gordo, Wright, and Franklin.
Central Counties -
Webster, Hamilton, Hardin, Greene, Boone, Story, Marshall, Dallas, Polk, and Jasper.
South Central Counties -
Madison, Warren, Marion, Union, Clarke, Lucas, Monroe, Ringgold, Decatur, Wayne, and Appanoose.
Counties - Winnebago, Worth, Hancock, Cerro Gordo, Wright, and Franklin.
Barns - 1. Yezek barn, 2. Hoarce Hendrickson barn, 3. Haugen barn, 4. Chizek barn, 5. Dodd barn.
Yezek barn, 22881 Vine Avenue, Plymouth (Cerro Gordo County) - From Rock Falls, go one mile north on the county blacktop. Barn is on the east side of the road. This 32- x 52-foot barn with metal cupola was built in 1930 and is one of the only barns standing in the area. The barn was in vulnerable condition when the Yezeks started the restoration project.
Hoarce Hendrickson Barn (no photo available), 2035 490th St, Northwood (Worth County) - Go east from Northwood on Highway 105 for five miles. Turn left on S56 to 490th Street. Turn east. Barn was built in 1894. Farm was purchased by owner's great-grandfather after arriving from Norway. This was one of five farms he bought - one for each son.
Haugen barn, 18446 420th Street, Leland (Winnebago County) - Go north out of Leland on US 69 to 420th Street (three miles), then turn right onto 420th (gravel). It is the first place on north side. Barn was built in 1915. In 1924 Peter Haugen enlarged it using a handsaw to split the barn in two. He added to the middle. Click here to see more.
Chizek Barn (no photo available), 1665 250th Street, Garner (Hancock County) - Go west out of Garner on US 18 to US 69, then turn north on US 69, and go one mile. Then turn left onto 250th St. Barn built by Albert Chizek, owner's grandfather, in 1942. It has an open loft area.
Dodd barn, 1854 40th Street, Ackley (Franklin County) - Travel four miles west of Ackley on IA 57. Turn north on S55 for two miles to 40th Street. Go 1/2-mile west. Barn was built by Ernest Aldinger, one of three Aldinger brothers who built farms within a mile of each other. Another photo here.
Counties - Webster, Hamilton, Hardin, Greene, Boone, Story, Marshall, Dallas, Polk, and Jasper.
Barns - 6. Adams barn, 7. Boriskey barn, 8. Pfantz barn, 9. Dobbin round barn, 10. Buck barn, 11. O'Rourke Barn, 12. Mehlisch barn, 13. Handsaker barn, 14. Twedt barn, 15. Rimathe barn, 16. Robert & Carla Uetz barn, 17. Oakdale Farm/Grave of Farceur, 18. Kenan barn, 19. Peters barn, 20. Purviance barn.
Adams barn, 1100 Evergreen, Williams (Hamilton County) - (South edge of Williams) From D25 (Old 20) south of Williams, turn north on R75. Turn right on 4th, right on Spruce, and right on Evergreen. Previous owner inherited old tongue and groove barn (36 x 63 feet), with two-inch vertical siding, and two acres from his uncle. He has made the once sad-looking structure a Williams landmark. (Award of Distinction). Click here to see more.
Boriskey Barn, 2115 230th Street, Marshalltown (Marshall County) - At intersection of US 30 and IA 330, go north on IA 330 for 1.3 miles and turn left onto short gravel drive that crosses to county road E41 (230th Street). Turn left again (west) and go 0.7 miles. Barn is on the right (north). Barn known as "long horse barn on 30" was manufactured by Super Structures, Albert Lea, and built in 1958. Has laminated curved rafters. Native lumber in horse stalls. Click here to see more.
Pfantz Barn, 210 4th Avenue NE., State Center (Marshall County) - From US 30, go into State Center. Fourth Street is on north side of railroad tracks. Barn is behind Victorian house. Unique horse barn was built in 1902 for Craig Pfantz's great-grandfather, well-known horse broker. The barn has such unique features as handmade screens and a milk cellar. Note the balloon rafters. Click here to see more.
Dobbin round barn, 2551 Brown Avenue, State Center (Marshall County) - From State Center, go west one mile to Cooper Avenue (S52), and turn south. Turn right (west) onto 255th St, then left onto Brown Ave. The 1917 barn was a pre-cut structure designed and made to order by Gordon Van Tine, Davenport, for $6000. Carpenters like Ike Ingersol and Amos Thompson assembled the numbered pieces into the 65-foot diameter barn with silo in the middle. (Award of Distinction). Click here to see more.
Buck barn, 1271 285th Street, State Center (Marshall County - From State Center, go west one mile to Cooper Avenue (S52). Go 4.5 miles south to 285th Street. Turn left on gravel. Barn is at first place on left. Barn is an example of how a potential tear-down can be turned into a jewel. It has a wonderful cupola. Click here to see more.
Russell & Danielle O’Rourke Farm, 25623 710th Ave, Colo (Story County) - Take the new US 30 eastward from the intersection with US 65. Turn south onto 710th Street. Barn is on the west side of 710th St. This barn, part of a lovely farmstead, was built in 1885 for horses. Barn is on National Register. Read more about this barn here.
Mehlisch barn, 17590 730th Avenue, Zearing (Story County) - From US 65, north of Colo, take E 29 east to 730th Avenue and turn north. Wendish carpenter, Chris Muschick, built the barn in 1905. Barn was painted white in 1916 according to date on inside wall. (Award of Distinction)
Handsaker barn, 65627 200th, Fernald (Story County) - Barn is immediately southeast of Fernald, which is off E29 west of US 65, north of Colo. Large, unique 1875 square barn is on farm purchased by Handsakers in 1853. Family gave land for Fernald. Click here to see more.
Twedt barn, 63645 160th Street, Nevada (Story County) - From junction of E41 (Old Highway 30) and S14 in Nevada, go north on S14 six miles to 160th Street. Turn east onto 160th St, then go 1.5 miles. This barn has 40 two-ply laminate rafters to support its rounded roof so the hayloft is free of posts and beams. Farm was once owned by Hoyt Sherman, brother of the Civil War general. This is an example of how a small barn can highlight a farm. Click here to see more.
Rimathe Barn, 51349 Highway 210, Slater (Story County) - It's the first farm east of Slater on IA Highway 210. This 30x50 foot barn has been used and beloved by the family since it was built in 1929 by the owner's uncle. The barn was in tough shape after a tornado, but owner, Wayne Rimathe, at great effort, recently restored it. Click here to read more of the story.
Robert & Carla Uetz Barn, 2011 180th St at U Avenue, Boone (Boone County) - From US 30, take IA 17 north for five miles (curves and stop signs). Turn right at 180th Street and go east one mile. Barn built by William Smalley, well-known Boone County farmer. Original buildings include chicken house where family lived in the beginning. Another photo here.
Oakdale Farm/Grave of Farceur, 787 210th Street, Ogden (Boone County) - From Ogden go north on P70 for one mile to 210th Street, then turn right (east). The barn is on the left (north) side of 210th St. The barn, where Farceur, the world-famous Belgian was buried in 1921, is one of Iowa's hidden treasures. C.G. Good bought 12-year-old Farceur, the San Francisco World's Fair champion, for $47,000 in 1915. The horse was a service stud, and, to this day, Farceur's name is on pedigrees of Belgians. Following a European custom, Good buried the horse in the stall of the stud barn-standing up. Click here to see more.
Kenan Barn, 2260 270th Street, Rippey (Greene County) - From Rippey go two miles north on P46. Then go one-fourth mile west on 270th Street. This brick barn, built in the late 1800s, has a matching corn crib. Barn has the original rope pulley and forks. Click here to see more.
[UPDATE] - The Richards barn, in Greene County, will not be on the 2017 All-State Tour.
Peters Barn, 19077 H Avenue, Perry (Dallas County) - From the intersection of P58 and IA 141, Perry, go south on P58 to 190th Street and turn right (west), then turn left (south) onto H ave. Henry and Florence Spintig purchased farm about 1903. The main buildings on the home site were present at that time. The barn has been used for farming by the same family since 1934. The barn is interesting because it has cut out squares incorporated into the beams. Another photo here.
Purviance barn, 21501 H Avenue, Minburn (Dallas County) - From the intersection of P58 and F31, go west for two miles, then turn south onto H Avenue, and go 1/2 mile to the first farm on the west side of the road. (The intersection of P58 and F31 is south of Perry and west of Minburn). Local craftsmen built this historic family farm in 1913 for Robert Purviance, prominent Dallas County farmer. The house and two barns are original. Click here to see more.
Counties - Madison, Warren, Marion, Union, Clarke, Lucas, Monroe, Ringgold, Decatur, Wayne, and Appanoose.
Barns - 21. Beeler barn, 22. McBroom-Hargis barn, 23. Gillespie Barn, 24. Oswald barn, 25. Blake barn, 26. Kosman barn, 27. Partridge barn.
Beeler barn, 2569 140th Street, Van Meter (Madison County) - From DeSoto, go south on Highway 169. Turn east on 130th Street to stop sign. Then go south on Prairie View Avenue and finally east on 140th Street. Barn is in what was a strong German settlement. Barn was built by the Burger brothers including one who became the first county agent in Iowa. Click here to see more.
McBroom-Hargis barn, 1218 Highway 169, Winterset (Madison County) - Barn is five miles south of I-80 (Adel, De Soto, Winterset exit), on US 169. Article in Madison County paper (1884) discussed this barn, "It would be the largest barn in this part of the county." It has a wooden track, post and beam, pegs and was designed by I.F. Carter of De Soto. Click here to see more.
Gillespie Barn, 1257 Highway 92, Winterset (Madison County). Barn was built in 1874 by W.W. George. The property has been in the same family since 1870. It is located on Old Bluff Road which carried early settlers to Council Bluffs. Another photo here.
Oswald barn, 1071 Harken Hills Drive, Osceola (Clarke County)-From I-35 in Osceola, take US 34 east for about ½ mile. Turn onto Harken Hills Drive (on the south side US 34) and follow to the barn. Beef barn was designed in the 1930s and can be converted into a show pavilion to seat over 700. Pure-bred Angus were developed there by Dr. C.R. Harken, Osceola physician. Farm was operated with view of helping small producer market his animals. J.C. Penney often visited the farm. Click here to see more.
Blake Barn, 2155 Benson Street, Weldon (Clarke County) -Take Exit 29 off I-35 (south of Osceola). Go east for 1.5 miles to US 69. Turn right (south) onto US 69 and go 4 miles to Benson St (CR H50), and turn right (west) for 1.5 miles. The barn is just above the freeway, but there is not an entrance there. Thousands of travelers going up I- 35 have probably noticed this highly visible barn but not the story. It is a wooden manufactured "kit" barn probably built in the early 1900s. The exceptionally tall (48 feet high) 32x38 feet barn sits on four footings keeping it off the ground. The barn was built with wood rafters so even the ends are identical to the middle. New red paint highlights the barn. (Award of Distinction). Click here to see more.
Kosman barn, 10611 240th Avenue, Weldon (Decatur County) - From Osceola, take US 69 south 10 miles to Clarke-Decatur Street (J12). Turn east and go one mile to first gravel road (240th St). Turn south - barn is second house on the west side (right). Barn, built in 1907, was the scene of large barn dances. Barn has always been used for horses and cows. Click here to see more.
Partridge barn, 32086 252th Street, Lineville (Decatur County) - From I-35, go east on IA 2 to Leon and continue another eight miles east of Leon to the intersection of IA 2 and County Road R69 (Woodland Road). Turn right onto Woodland Road and go 5.5 miles to 252nd Street (which is about a mile south of the old Woodland Town site at the intersection of J46). Turn left (east) onto 252th Street (the first left south of Woodland), and the barn is 1/4 mile down the road on the north side. Barn (56x32) built in 1930 by William Massey who wanted the largest and fanciest barn in the area. It was built prior to the Depression, and he lost the farm. Blocks delivered by train from Lineville. From there it was 10 miles by horse and wagon. Barn is in beautiful area. Click here for a map and photos.
Click on the map, then click on a County & City.